Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Morphing Lap Band Scars

I have five scars on my belly from the lap band surgery. Three are dots and two are more incision-type scars. One is about 3/4 of an inch long and the other is about 1 1/4 inches. They never really had a chance to fade after the surgery (I've been told this can take up to two years), but they used to be relatively flat and light pinkish.

As the pregnancy has progressed, I've noticed changes in the character of the scars. Especially in the last few weeks, they've grown much deeper in color and have also become much more raised/pronounced. In fact, one of the dot scars almost looks like a blister (but it's not infected or inflamed or anything).

I hadn't really noticed the morphing of the scars until one day when I looked in the mirror and I could see them THROUGH my shirt. It wasn't even a particularly tight shirt, but the scars caused the material to sit at a slightly different angle which caught the light. Weird. Since then, I've noticed that I can often see them through my shirts, but I doubt most people would notice. (Note: I'm not going to work in see-through shirts - it's the raised bumps I'm seeing under the fabric!)

I asked the doc about it and he said that weird things happen during pregnancy and a lot of them can be attributed to hormones.

The newly pronounced scars don't really bother me too much and geekboy doesn't seem the least bit bothered by them either - so, for the most part, I don't really care. But it seems like something that could be alarming or bothersome to scar-conscious individuals.

(I just tried taking a photo so you could see what I'm talking about, but it didn't work so well - sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment