Wednesday, July 14, 2010

And the scale creeps down?

I'm fairly sure I've gained three pounds since my lap band unfill a week and a half ago. However, when I weighed in at the doctor's office this morning, it showed that I had dropped a pound since my last visit. I think that this could be attributed to the fact that I peed six times (no exaggeration) between the time I arrived at the medical center and the time I was weighed before my appointment with the high risk OB doctors. Some of it could probably have been chalked up to pre-ultrasound nerves, and the rest to the fact that Bebe is squishing my bladder - which makes me go all of the time anyhow.

I asked two different doctors for their thoughts on my weight. The first said that she'd like to start seeing some weight gain and suggested that a good target would be for me to gain between 10 and 15 pounds during the pregnancy. A second doctor suggested that I might be expected to gain 20-25 pounds during the pregnancy, but then backpedaled and said that less might be ideal given the diabetes situation and that he wasn't really too concerned with my weight gain (or lack thereof) provided that the baby was growing on track and I was feeling good energy and health-wise. He suggested that we shouldn't focus too much on the numbers. From the ultrasound, Bebe's growth seems to be on track and I'm feeling good these days - so perhaps I'm in a pretty good place, but I'm not going to be alarmed if the scale inches up a bit either.

I really don't want to gain too much during this pregnancy, but I don't want to jeopardize the baby's growth or my health in any way either. A target of 10-15 max seems reasonable. But only time will tell what actually ends up happening!

Regardless, tonight I ended up going out for a big steak dinner and ate.the.whole.darn.thing. I don't think that was what anyone had in mind when they suggested that it might be time for a little bit of gain. Goodness! The unfill seems to have worked a little too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment