Sunday, July 25, 2010

Insulin in the Vein

The other night, I went to give myself my before-dinner insulin shot and noted that the prick was significantly more painful than usual. Nonetheless, I carried on and finished the injection. When I removed the needle, I noticed that a lot of blood came with it and the injection spot was very painful. There was also a hard bump where the insulin had gone in - it didn't seem to dissipate at all.

Somehow, I seem to have managed to hit a vein. I panicked a bit and got online to see what I could find out about injecting insulin into a vein. Fortunately, it's not that big of a deal and apparently it happens to everyone from time to time. The biggest concern is that one can have a sugar low from the insulin being absorbed too fast, but thankfully that didn't happen to me.

Now that it's been a few days, I've got a nasty looking purple bruise at the injection spot. Geekboy commented that it complements the purple shirt I've got on today!

No comments:

Post a Comment