Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'm Officially "High Risk". Oh Joy.

This past Friday, I called the OB's office at the suggestion of my nutritionist to read them my blood sugar #s. I'd been tracking the numbers for four days which provided a pretty decent picture of the range of my readings. I left a message with a nurse who said she'd talk to a doctor and get back to me, but I never heard anything back. I called again on Monday to make sure the message had gotten through to someone and was told that the doctors had decided that I should be transferred to the "high risk" OB group. Can't they come up with a more delicate term that would be less alarming to us pregnant emotional women??? I'm happy that I'll be getting the extra attention and monitoring that I need to ensure the best outcomes for my baby, but I'm a bit freaked out as well as I don't know how concerned I should be about everything (or not).

The high risk OB scheduler gave me a call in the afternoon to let me know that my previously scheduled appointments with the "regular" OB group had been canceled and that they wanted to see me in the "high risk" clinic. Fair enough. I figured they'd bring me in later that week or early the next for an assessment and probably to put me on meds to bring my sugars down. Instead, she proposed a date at the end of July! July hasn't even started yet. We're still in June. The date she proposed was two weeks BEYOND my next scheduled OB appointment with the regular OB. Trying to disguise my panic and confusion, I managed to ask, "Uh, don't they want me to come in soon so they can monitor my situation? I've got to believe that they're at least a little alarmed if I've been switched over to the high risk group." Her response, "They're not too concerned about your case." OK... I guess I was still giving off somewhat tense vibes as she agreed to search her schedule again. She came up with another date which was just slightly sooner, but I told her I'd take it. Apparently, they're going to do an ultrasound followed by a regular appointment. So I guess I'll just keep monitoring my sugars and hoping for the best in the interim. It really is fairly disconcerting not knowing how worried I should or shouldn't be about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment