Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Third Doctor's Appointment

Another fairly uneventful appointment. Peed in a cup, asked questions, answered questions, and then laid down so they could listen to the fetal heartbeat. This time, the doc managed to find it. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh... She then moved the little transmitter around a bit and showed me what my heart beat sounded like compared to the baby's. Mine sounded to be about half as fast.

I brought up the topic of blood sugar again (I'd mentioned it in previous appointments) in particular because I'd been noticing that my heart had been beating hard/fast after meals. This seemed weird and had me a bit concerned, though when I mentioned it to the doctor, she said she'd never heard of such a thing. Nonetheless, she said that she'd be happy to send me for an early glucose test so we could know for sure one way or another.

Because of my history of blood sugar weirdness, I figured it would be good to play it safe rather than waiting until the 28th week when they typically send pregnant women for their glucose screening. Also, they'd noticed that I had low levels of ketones in my urine (which can signal blood sugar issues), though the doctor thought it was probably nothing and I was probably just a little dehydrated from the summer heat.

They wrote me a script for the test and sent me on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment