Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Weight Gain (or Not)

Because I still fall into the "obese" category, the medical recommendation is for me to gain 15 pounds or fewer in total during the pregnancy. The recommendation for an average-sized woman would be expected to gain from around 25 to 35 pounds.

By my best estimate, I actually got pregnant weighing around 211 pounds, but I didn't actually figure out that I was pregnant until I was down to about 204. It's not unusual for women to lose a few pounds during the first trimester due to morning sickness (which I didn't experience), but I don't think a seven pound drop during the first month is considered anywhere near normal.

I'm now into my 16th week and weigh in at 202. I've been holding steady close to this weight for the past 2 1/2 months or so. I'm not making any special efforts to maintain this weight, it's just what's happening. It's somewhat unclear to me whether it's problematic if I'm not gaining now that I'm into the second trimester, but my nutritionist and former OB haven't expressed any concerns yet. The nutritionist just said (in no uncertain terms) that I should not be losing any weight right now (which I'm not).

I'm anxious to find out about the baby's growth at the ultrasound that is coming up in a couple of weeks. Until then, I'm concentrating on getting in the recommended daily carbs and calories and working on maintaining as healthy a diet as I can. I'm reassured by the idea that the baby will take what it needs nutritionally from the mother if its needs aren't being met - so hopefully it's not being adversely affected by my weight holding steady. Gosh - there's so much for one to worry about during a pregnancy! And then they tell you to keep your stress levels down...

No comments:

Post a Comment