Tuesday, June 29, 2010

In Desperate Need of a Partial Unfill!

When I found out I was pregnant, I did a bunch of research online and discovered that a good percentage of women are able to maintain their fill level throughout their pregnancy. This was surprising to me as all of the literature I had previously read suggested that if one became pregnant, they'd immediately do a complete band unfill. Once I found out that it was possible to hold on to a fill, I became committed to trying - namely because I was certain I'd be one of those women who gained an ungodly amount of weight during pregnancy, which could be disastrous for the baby's health, for my health, and for the weight loss progress I had already made.

Because I still fall into the "obese" category (even after my significant weight loss since being banded), the medical recommendation is to gain only 15 or so pounds during the entire pregnancy. I was quite certain I couldn't keep the gain that low without the aid of my band.

I called my lap band doctor's office to let them know I was pregnant and to see what they would have to say about my remaining filled. They basically told me that it was my choice and that as long as I was able to get the necessary nutrition to support the pregnancy, it was fine to keep my fill. I was thrilled. They also told me that if I found I needed an unfill, just to let them know and they'd slip me in for a quick appointment.

This week, I decided it was unfill time. I was getting progressively tighter and it had reached a point of absurdity. Solids were becoming increasingly challenging to get down and I was spending more and more time at each meal staring at my full plate and wishing it would just disappear. Dreading meals - now that's another new experience I can chalk up to the lap band! During the night, if I drank water it would get "held up" and then uncomfortably gurgle through the band after a minute or two. And I was experiencing an increasing frequency of sudden, uncontrollable spewing episodes - which are a big no-no with the band as it can cause slippage. Incidentally, they're also a big no-no if you plan to eat anywhere near the vicinity of other people.

Last night, just as I was about to go to bed, I saw a container of dried apricots on the table and decided to eat one. Very bad idea. Despite the fact that I had chewed it well, it got mercilessly stuck and was terribly uncomfortable for a long time. It didn't seem to be moving anywhere - just sitting right there on my band causing me pain. Although I know better, I took a couple of sips of water in the hopes of lubricating it or helping it on its way. Another bad idea. A minute later, the water came shooting back up in geyser form, but the apricot still did not budge. (Someday I'll do a post on the graphic nature of these liquid geysers - I'd never experienced one before getting banded.)

GeekBoy suggested I get in bed, but sit up to help the apricot pass into my stomach. I must've sat there for 20 minutes feeling awful. I think he felt bad for me as he was trying to comfort me by snuggling and stroking my leg, but one thing led to another and he started getting a little frisky, but I was really not feeling it. My response: "You might want to reconsider as there's a good chance that I'm about to spew." I guess that's one surefire way to ruin the moment! He just looked at me dumbfounded - with a mixture of fear, amusement, and complete bewilderment on his face. Bless his heart. Surprisingly, he didn't seem grossed out at all. Poor chap - but I suppose he'd better get used to painfully unsexy moments if he's going to be attending the birth!

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy for you. Now make sure you get some home remedy like ginger ale or lemon drops for your first trimester morning sickness so you'll have more time to enjoy pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete