Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One Hour Glucose Tolerance Test

I went in early in the morning before work to get my glucose test taken care of. They sat me down and did a blood draw, but I'm pretty sure it was for my blood typing re-test and not part of the glucose screening (something curious and unexplainable had shown up on my first blood typing screen, so they wanted to make sure it wasn't an error).

After taking my blood the tech gave me a cup of something that tasted like flat orange soda and told me that I needed to drink it down in less than five minutes. I was a little concerned that it might come right back up due to my band tightness and the fact that it was early in the morning, but it went down fine. Apparently, there is 50g of glucose/carb in the drink - which, if I understand it right, is the a little over the equivalent of what one might get drinking a can of coke. I was then instructed to return in an hour for a blood draw.

I was fairly certain I was going to fail the test, so I had already resigned myself to that fact and wasn't really too worried about things. After an hour, I went back, got poked, and headed off to work.

A few hours later, I experienced a pretty noticeable sugar low. My hands got shaky, I broke out in a sweat for no reason, and I kind of experienced that dizzy adrenaline high sensation. (This has happened to me a few times before in my life, so I know what my sugar lows feel like.) I didn't think too much about it, ate something to bring my blood sugar back up, and went on about my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment